CORE PH.D. CURRICULUM
- BIOL8101 Hypothesis Testing
- BIOL8102 Cellular and Molecular Biology
- BIOL8140 Evolutionary Biology
- BIOL8260 Careers in Bioscience: Professional Development
- BIOL8201 Seminar
- BIOL8270 Biological Pathways and Metabolism OR BIOL8241 Environmental Biology
Total of 72 credit hours to include:
- 5 courses core curriculum
- At least 3 electives, seminar
- A minimum of 18 credit hours of research
- Third semester-- Form a qualifying exam/dissertation committee.
- Fifth Semester--The qualifying examination in two parts, a written component and an oral component.
- Sixth Semester--Thesis research proposal in and oral defense to the dissertation committee.
- Final Semester-- Written dissertation, public presentation and oral defense
- Average time to completion of the Ph.D. degree in the program currently is 5.5 years
- PhD students receive teaching assistanships of $22,000 per academic year or research assistantships, tuition renumeration (GASP award) and health insurance